Birding in Iceland

Church of Grímsey

Miðgarðar is the site of the most northerly church in Iceland. It was consecrated by Bishop Jón Ögmundsson in the early 11th century and was dedicated to Ólafur the patron saint of the Nordic people. At that time two clergymen served the church, and mass was sung daily and twice on holy days.
These services have dwindled but 50 clergymen have been recorded as serving the church over the years.
The vicar of Dalvík is now in charge of the church.

Miðgarðakirkja was built from driftwood in 1867 on a site near Miðgarðar farm but was moved over by its own length in 1932 due to fire hazard and, at the same time, a choir stall and portico with a steeple were added.
The church was extensively renovated in 1932 and reconsecrated in 1956.
The altar painting is by a local artist painted in 1878 and is a copy of a work by Leonardo da Vinci.

It was granted conservation status on 1st January 1990, in accordance with the provisions of legislation on ancient buildings.

lb56ji9fgacgbfvgniaz
Church of Grímsey
GPS Points N66° 32' 4.567" W17° 59' 59.700"
Postal code

611

Travel directory for Church of Grímsey

The official travel index of Iceland

Travel search
Can't find it? Try searching for it :)